Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Lottery

The Lottery


In my opinion the story is mainly about lottery which caused me to make a firm idea of the title. I would call this story “The lottery” not only because it is about the lottery but in this case the lottery carries contrary meaning of it. There are two things which made me to think the lottery in this city represents death and sorrow instead of winning a big sum of money. One of them is Tessie Hutchinson strongly crying for redo about the result that her husband was the winner for this lottery. Another one is when a child named Tessie gets the hit by the stone on the side of the head which shows she will die. Before I get chance to read the ending part, I thought about what is the connection between the piles of stones and the lottery. I have thought several possibilities, and my guess was that the piles of stones will be the prize for the winner of the lottery. However, as we keep reading to the end, I found little suspicious. As the lottery time comes, I could see people were getting nervous. And in about few sentences later, when the winner was chosen, the wife of the winner was desperately crying for redo of this lottery by protesting that her husband didn’t get much time to choose the card from the lottery. At this point what came through my mind was that the stones were not just a prize for the winner it was to through at the winner. When the end was left out as a mystery I was very angry with the author of this writing because the story just left me just in the middle of the desert! When the mystery paper was given to me, I knew it was the ending part of this writing. Because I really wanted to know the ending story, without hesitating I just tore off the entry of this envelop and started reading the ending story. I almost had no clue about the black box that we had to choose one card from the box. But it just gave the tension and pressure while picking up the card. Because I was the first one who had to pick the card, extra pressure was upon me. So, basically I felt very strange about the black box, black spot and blank paper. Just one thing that I was clear about them was black spot represented a bad thing and blank paper represented nothing which means “safe” As soon as I read the end of the story, instead of the joy that I got the ending story right, I felt very frustrated since I hate killing children. Eventually, my guess was right and when I found out that the child was the one who will get tons of shots of stones, I felt very sorry for this young girl although it was not a true story. I think the author left these voids in the story in order to create more tension and take the reader think deeper and predict the story. Another reason why the author left voids were to make the story more interesting and to keep the reader keeps reading. From the beginning this story was different than other writings I have saw from last 15 years. It had no title and author information. From the very beginning the author created the void which made me to keep reading. No ending totally left me out in the desert because it only left me some clues and not the actual story. Text clues and foreshadowing made me little infuriating because it still didn’t confirm the real story. When the mystery paper was handed to me I felt very uncomfortable keeping it in my pocket and this feeling made me to find out the answer. When I got time to read the delayed ending the power of the void was no more in my mind which means I felt no more uncomfortable. In short, I realized the true power of void and what it creates whoever it is like listener or reader. If I get some free time I hope to create anything that creates THE POWER OF VOID.

No comments:

Post a Comment