Saturday, February 20, 2010

Duet Acting Assessment - Julius Caesar

Context of the quote
Cassius begins a conversation with Brutus by asking whether he will go to see the order of the course. Cassius is gradually pulling him into the conspiracy against immortal Caesar. Cassius praising Brutus and on the other hand he expresses how he feels that Brutus can not see himself. Cassius with his eloquence, he says that he will be his mirror to let him see his inner qualities. In Cassius speech, it is being included that Brutus’s inner qualities such as honorable and noble mind are not known from Brutus himself which is blocking himself to pursue his willing. However, Brutus feels suspicious about Cassius why on a sudden he is desperate to help him out with his and what he is intending to do.

Why is this passage significant?
This is really significant since this part can be where the conspiracy starts to grow bigger. This passage is also significant because Cassius is pulling a great influential character, Brutus into conspiracy by using his talent for speaking.

Where is this passage? Act? Scene? Page?
Act 1 scene 2 pg. 25 to 77

Passage

CASSIUS.
Will you go see the order of the course?
BRUTUS.
Not I.
CASSIUS.
I pray you, do.
BRUTUS.
I am not gamesome; I do lack some part
Of that quick spirit that is in Antony.
Let me not hinder, Cassius, your desires;
I'll leave you.
CASSIUS.
Brutus, I do observe you now of late:
I have not from your eyes that gentleness
And show of love as I was wont to have:
You bear too stubborn and too strange a hand
Over your friend that loves you.
BRUTUS.
Cassius,
Be not deceived: if I have veil'd my look,
I turn the trouble of my countenance
Merely upon myself. Vexed I am
Of late with passions of some difference,
Conceptions only proper to myself,
Which give some soil perhaps to my behaviors;
But let not therefore my good friends be grieved--
Among which number, Cassius, be you one--
Nor construe any further my neglect,
Than that poor Brutus, with himself at war,
Forgets the shows of love to other men.
CASSIUS.
Then, Brutus, I have much mistook your passion;
By means whereof this breast of mine hath buried
Thoughts of great value, worthy cogitations.
Tell me, good Brutus, can you see your face?
BRUTUS.
No, Cassius, for the eye sees not itself
But by reflection, by some other thing.
CASSIUS.
'Tis just:
And it is very much lamented, Brutus,
That you have no such mirrors as will turn
Your hidden worthiness into your eye,
That you might see your shadow. I have heard
Where many of the best respect in Rome,--
Except immortal Caesar!-- speaking of Brutus,
And groaning underneath this age's yoke,
Have wish'd that noble Brutus had his eyes.
BRUTUS.
Into what dangers would you lead me, Cassius,
That you would have me seek into myself
For that which is not in me?
Cassius
Therefore, good Brutus, be prepar'd to hear;
And since you know you cannot see yourself
So well as by reflection, I, your glss,
Will modestly discover to yourself
that of yourself which you yet know not of.
And be not jealous on me, gentle Brutus:
Were I a commom laugher, or did use
To stale with ordinary oaths my love
To every new protester; if you know
That I do fawn on men and hug them hard,
And after scandal them; or if you know
That I profess myself in banqueting
To all the rout, then hold me dangerous.

Identify who is going to be who
Cassius : JaeHwan Han
Brutus : Adam Bakri

No comments:

Post a Comment